The Duke, 36, and Duchess of Sussex, 39, announced earlier this month that they have signed a megawatt Netflix deal said to be worth £112million to make TV series, films and children’s shows for the streaming service.
Their first project, which is aimed at a young audience, is in pre-production and has been greenlit by bosses at the media giant.
An industry insider told Vanity Fair‘s Katie Nicholl: ‘There’s a lot of buzz about it, it is going ahead and work has started on the series.’
Prince Harry, 36, and Meghan Markle’s, 39, first Netflix project which is an animated series about inspiring women is ‘creating a lot of buzz in the industry’, a source has claimed
Other projects the couple are currently working on include a wildlife documentary series, which could see the Duke and Duchess travel to Africa when global Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
And future plans include scripted series, docuseries, documentaries, features and children’s programming with the couple looking to focus on stories and issues that resonate with them personally.
Meanwhile Ingrid Seward said the news the couple won’t be making a reality show would come as a relief to the Queen.
The royal expert said it would be ‘too much too soon’ for the couple to consider a documentary, adding: ‘I think they should wait and think long and hard about making anything that is deemed ‘personal.’
The Duke and Duchess of Sussexes’s first project, which is aimed at a young audience, is in pre-production and has been greenlit by bosses at the media giant
Earlier this week, the couple were forced to deny plans to to star in a fly-on-the-wall Netflix reality series with cameras following them for three months.
Reports had suggested Harry and Meghan would be followed amid the possibility of cameras being allowed into their home in Montecito, California.
Prince Harry and Meghan were said to have been hoping to ‘give people a glimpse into their lives and see all the charity work they do’, according to a source.
A source had told The Sun: ‘They may have had all these lofty ideas about producing epics highlighting environmental causes and the poverty gap, but Netflix obviously want their pound of flesh.
Meanwhile royal expert Ingrid Seward said the news the couple won’t be making a reality show would come as a relief to the Queen
‘It will all be very tasteful, and not Katie Price and Peter Andre-style reality TV, but they want to give people a glimpse into their lives and see all the charity work they do.’
But they added: ‘It will still be a fascinating insight and Meghan hopes viewers will get to see the real her.’
But a spokesman for the royal couple insisted earlier this week: ‘The Duke and Duchess are not taking part in any reality shows.’
Rumors of Harry and Meghan seeking to gain a foothold in Hollywood have run rampant ever since the couple announced their plans to quit as senior royals, seek financial independence and move to North America in January.
Meghan’s first post-Megxit job in showbiz was as a narrator of the Disney Plus docuseries Elephants, which came out in April.
Meghan’s first post-Megxit job in showbiz was as a narrator of the Disney Plus docuseries Elephants, which came out in April
The 39-year-old Los Angeles native nabbed the job after Harry bragged about her voice-over skills to Disney chairman Bob Iger at the London premiere of The Lion King live-action remake last summer.
Harry followed in her footsteps by appearing in a new Netflix documentary about about the Paralympic Games called Rising Phoenix, which aired on August 26.
The decision to work with Netflix is also a move reminiscent of former President Barack Obama and his lawyer wife Michelle.