An Australian mother has revealed how she finally discovered how to clean dirty grout on bathroom shower walls with ease.
The woman, from Melbourne, said she was left feeling frustrated after trying ‘every product’ on the walls of her bathroom in her rental property.
However she said she ‘cracked the code’ after trying a simple combination of bicarbonate of soda mixed with Domestos disinfectant bleach.
Sharing her tip – and stunning before and after photos – on the Facebook group Mums Who Cook, Clean and Organise, she wrote: ‘Mums! I’ve cracked the code! This took me only a few minutes and not a lot of effort – I couldn’t believe my eyes.’
For health and safety reasons, it’s advised to avoid mixing bleach with other chemicals, but combining the product with bicarb soda is safe.
BEFORE: An Australian mother has revealed how she ‘cracked the code’ and discovered how to clean dirty grout on the bathroom shower walls with ease (pictured)
AFTER: The Melbourne woman was frustrated after having tried ‘every product’ but resorted to mixing bicarb soda with Domestos bleach. She said she was ‘so pleased’ with the result (pictured)
The woman said she mixed the two products until a paste was formed, then used an old toothbrush to apply it onto the grout.
‘In most places I didn’t even leave it, just a light brushing, it was gone in an instant,’ she said.
The woman was ‘so pleased’ with how well the formula worked at cleaning the grout she highly recommends it to others.
Her post has been ‘liked’ by more than 1,200 others since it was shared on September 20, leaving others very impressed.
For health and safety reasons, it’s commonly known to avoid mixing bleach with other chemicals, but combining the product with bicarb soda is safe to use
‘I’m off to go scrub everything in the house!’ one woman said.
‘Well I know what I’m doing while the kids are at school,’ another said.
‘Just bought Domestos! Will give it a go,’ a third added.
While the clever hack worked well at cleaning the grout, others warned about the dangers of mixing chemicals together.
CHEMICALS YOU SHOULD NEVER MIX
Bleach + Vinegar
Baking Soda + Vinegar
Bleach + Ammonia
Drain Cleaner + Drain Cleaner
Hydrogen Peroxide + Vinegar
Bleach + Rubbing Alcohol
Source: Good House Keeping
‘Be careful people when mixing chemicals, don’t ever mix vinegar and bleach,’ one mum said.
‘Good on you for experimenting and finding a solution to something that so many people struggle with – please carefully research your chemicals before mixing!’ another warned.
Inhaling the toxic vapours can lead to coughing, breathing problems, allergic reactions and even nasty chemical burns.
It’s a common cleaning mistake many people make, as cleaning experts have warned for years that adding any acidic to bleach will produce a toxic chlorine vapour.
Before you get rid of the mould in your home, the experts from consumer company CHOICE said the first thing you need to do is assess the surface the fungi has attached to.
‘Non-porous’ surfaces such as hard plastics should be relatively easier to clean.
‘When mould grows, it develops hyphae, or roots, which grow into the grout or silicone. You can clean the surfaces of the grout or silicone, but not deep into it. In those cases you have to replace the silicone or re-grout your bathroom,’ they said.