A chef has fused two of Australia’s favourite fast foods by creating a hybrid McDonald’s Big Mac and KFC chicken burger.
Rob Nixon is the brains behind Nicko’s Kitchen, an online cookery show broadcast on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok which specialises in decadent desserts and homemade versions of iconic restaurant dishes.
The culinary star from Perth, Western Australia, uploaded a four-minute video earlier this month showing viewers how to make KFC’s famous ‘secret’ herbs and spices and crispy buttermilk chicken, and McDonald’s world-renowned Big Mac sauce.
After building the ingredients into a towering sandwich stacked six tiers high, Mr Nixon called for the restaurant giants to collaborate and stock the burger in KFC and McDonald’s outlets across the country.
Scroll down for video
Rob Nixon’s mouthwatering KFC Big Mac burger, made with secret herbs and sauces and McDonald’s secret sauce
Mr Nixon called on the fast food giants to merge and create this burger as a product, claiming it would definitely be a ‘top-seller’
Mr Nixon first revealed the eight ingredients that go into KFC seasoning, including popular spices like paprika and ginger, and herbs like basil, oregano and thyme.
The mix also includes more unusual flavours like dried mustard powder and celery salt and pantry staples salt and white and black pepper.
Perth chef Rob Nixon, the brains behind YouTube cookery channel Nicko’s Kitchen
He adds the herbs to a bowl of buttermilk and leaves chicken breasts to marinate in the mixture overnight.
To make the breading mix which gives KFC chicken its famous crispy outside, Mr Nixon adds the same herbs and spices into two large cups of flour, coating the chicken in the dry ingredients once fully marinated.
‘I always double dip the chicken for a crunchier coating,’ he said.
Next, Mr Nixon shared the ingredients for McDonald’s Big Mac sauce, which is based on two tablespoons of mayonnaise mixed with teaspoons of pickle relish, mustard, white vinegar, garlic salt, paprika, dried onion flakes and a pinch of sugar.
Sugar is widely used in sauces to balance out the acidity of other ingredients, in this case mustard and vinegar.
‘Give everything a good mix around until you see that famous [yellowish] colour the secret sauce is known for,’ he said.
To garnish the burgers, Mr Nixon uses classic Big Mac ingredients: two pickles, a handful of lettuce, two sheets of cheddar cheese and some dried onion, re-hydrated in a teaspoon of water just like McDonald’s kitchens’ use.
The herbs and spices (left) and buttermilk marinade (right) for KFC’s authentic crispy chicken
Mr Nixon’s crispy KFC chicken, flavoured with paprika, garlic and mustard powder
To assemble, he toasts three buns until golden brown, slicing the base off one which will be used in the middle.
Mr Nixon spreads a teaspoon of sauce on each of the buns, spreading it to the sides before adding the re-hydrated onion and lettuce.
He lays a slice of cheese on the base bun and the pickles on the middle before placing one piece of chicken on both.
‘The two companies should totally merge and make this product, it would be a top-seller for sure,’ he said.
And it’s not the first time Mr Nixon has spilled a McDonald’s secret recipe.
How to make your own KFC Big Mac
For the chicken
Chicken breasts or thighs (as much as you want)
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp dried basil
½ ts ground ginger
½ tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic salt
½ tsp dried mustard powder
1/3 tsp oregano
½ tsp celery salt
½ tsp white pepper
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 ½ cups buttermilk
2 cups plain flour
For the Big Mac secret sauce
2 tbsp mayonnaise
½ tsp pickle relish
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried onion flakes
½ tsp sugar
For the burger
1 slice cheddar
1/2 cup lettuce
1 tbsp dried onions (re-hydrated in a drop of water)
1. Mix herbs and spices and leave chicken to marinate in a bowl of buttermilk overnight.
2. Make the breading mix by adding the same herbs and spices to the flour.
3. Make the secret Big Mac sauce by mixing two tablespoons of mayonnaise mixed with teaspoons of pickle relish, mustard, white vinegar, garlic salt, paprika, dried onion flakes and a pinch of sugar.
4. Coat the chicken twice on each side in the dry breading mix and fry until crispy and golden brown.
5. Toast three buns, shaving the bottom off one to use as the middle.
6. Stack the ingredients and enjoy still warm.
Source: Nicko’s Kitchen
In May, the chef shared his homemade recipe for the world’s best-loved hot chips, revealing the secret to the famous flavour is frying them twice.
He prepared a batch of ‘Maccas’ fries with three potatoes, water and corn syrup, before deep frying them in sizzling canola oil and seasoning with salt.
‘The second fry is worth it for that authentic flavour and golden colour,’ Mr Nixon said in the video.
Mr Nixon saw his fan base multiply during lockdown when tens of thousands of new followers subscribed to his channels to find recipes to make at home with their families.
His simple recipes for DIY Krispy Kreme doughnuts, two-ingredient Nutella cake and air-fried Oreos have been viewed by over four million people.
Mr Nixon’s homemade McDonald’s chips, frying in canola (left) and ready to be eaten (right)
How to make Maccas chips at home
1. To start, cut the potatoes into thin strips using a mandolin with a chip slicer attached to the end, or with a sharp knife.
2. Fill a large bowl with cold water and submerge the chips to remove excess starch, leaving aside for 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the chips into a bowl of hot water mixed with a tablespoon of corn syrup.
4. Whisk the mixture so that the syrup dissolves, then leave the chips to soak for another 10 minutes.
5. The syrup will infuse a mild sweetness and encourage the chips to crisp golden brown when fried.
6. Once thoroughly soaked, place the chips on a towel and pat dry, then leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to dry.
7. Meanwhile, heat a generous amount of canola oil in a saucepan until sizzling hot, then fry chips twice in two batches for four minutes each.