Having drinks with family and friends at home has been a popular and much-needed pastime this summer.
And if you’re looking for a drink that evokes memories of relaxing abroad or socialising in a pub garden, Aperol could be the perfect tipple for you. The classic Italian bitter helps create a beautifully simple and refreshing aperitif such as the much-loved Aperol Spritz, as well as being the perfect cocktail ingredient.
Even better, Amazon’s bestselling bitter is currently just £10 per bottle. The 40 per cent discount makes now the perfect opportunity to stock up.
Aperol is now just £10 per bottle on Amazon – that’s an impressive saving of 40 per cent
Aperol is made from gentian, rhubarb, and cinchona. Its infusion of bitter and sweet orange and a mix of herbs and roots gives the drink a light, refreshing taste. Ahead, we’ve listed four easy cocktail recipes you can make at home.
The Aperol Spritz or ‘Spritz Veneziano’ is a northern Italian wine-based cocktail, which is often served as an aperitif. It is made with Prosecco, Aperol and soda water. Over recent years, the the refreshing bubbly spritz has also become a staple of British summertime.
Create the perfect Aperol Spritz at home with this 50:50 recipe:
- Fill a large wine glass with ice
- Combine Prosecco and Aperol in equal parts
- Add a dash of soda
- Garnish with a fresh orange slice
Aperol is made from gentian, rhubarb, and cinchona. Its infusion of bitter and sweet orange and mix of herbs and roots gives the drink a light, refreshing taste
Aperol Summer Negroni
Negroni started to take off among Brits around five years ago.
The classic Italian cocktail traditionally consists of one part gin, one part vermouth rosso, and one part Campari, and is garnished with orange peel. It should be stirred and not shaken, built over ice and garnished with a twist of orange zest.
But for a modern take, why not try adding Aperol rather than Campari?
- Peel an orange and, using a muddler, crush the zest into the bottom of the glass
- Fill the glass with ice cubes
- Combine gin, vermouth and Aperol in equal parts
- Gently stir and garnish with orange and raspberries for a summery finish
Orange and Aperol Granita
A semi-frozen dessert that originates from Sicily, granita has become widely popular among Italians. It’s quick and easy to make, and goes down a treat on a hot summer’s day. If you enjoy the classic bittersweet taste of Aperol, this take on granita is one for you.
- Stir together Aperol, lemon juice, mandarin orange juice and Prosecco
- Pour the mixture into a shallow dish and place in the freezer
- After around 30 minutes remove from the freezer and stir with a fork
- Serve in a small glass tumbler for a refreshing ice-cold Aperol Spritz
For those who enjoy something a little stronger, the Airedale packs a sour punch. It consists of bourbon, rye whiskey, Aperol and simple sugar syrup – ideal if you like a bittersweet beverage.
- Mix bourbon, rye whiskey, Aperol and sugar syrup with ice
- Twist one grapefruit peel over the ice
- Stir and strain into a tumbler with ice cubes
- Twist another grapefruit peel over the beverage and simply wedge it between the ice and glass
MailOnline may earn commission on sales from the links on this page.