TUNA NICOISE WITH CHARRED FENNEL
Tuna nicoise with charred fennel will serve four people as a starter
Serves 2, or 4 as a starter
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 x 175g (6oz) tuna steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced
- 1-2tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 300g (10½oz) new potatoes, halved
- 100g (3½oz) green beans, trimmed
- 4 handfuls of leafy green leaves, washed
- 2 boiled eggs, halved
For the dressing
- 1 heaped tsp English or Dijon mustard
- A handful of mint leaves
- 75ml (2½fl oz) light olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 scant tsp of honey or light brown sugar
You can use salmon or chicken instead of the tuna, if you prefer.
Just griddle as in the recipe until cooked through. The sliced fennel can also be roasted in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.
Mix together the lemon zest, crushed garlic and fennel seeds. Pour over the tuna in a bowl, rub in and pop into the fridge to marinate for a few hours if you have the time.
In a food processor, whizz the dressing ingredients together until smooth. Season and set aside.
Slice the fennel bulb, add 1tbsp of oil and season. Heat a griddle pan and griddle the fennel until softened and lightly charred. Remove to a plate.
In the same pan, add 1tbsp oil, and make sure the griddle is really hot. Cook the tuna for 1-2 minutes on both sides. Set aside to rest.
Cook the potatoes and beans in two pans of boiling water for 6-8 minutes, until tender. Drain the potatoes and refresh the beans under cold running water.
Put the potatoes in a salad bowl, season and add a little oil and lemon juice. Add the leaves, beans, fennel and eggs. Flake the tuna all over and drizzle with the dressing.
ROASTED VEG WITH HARISSA AND GRIDDLED HALLOUMI
Roasted veg with harissa and griddled halloumi will serve four and takes 35 minutes to cook
Mix of veggies such as; 2 mixed sweet peppers, 1 large fennel bulb, 1 red onion
- 2 Courgettes, 200g cherry tomatoes
- 2 Fat garlic cloves, peeled sliced.
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (a few squirts of balsamic spray is also good),
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1 Lemon zested
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp harissa
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1 X 250g haloummi
Use feta instead. Add in a can of drained chickpeas for the last 5 minutes of cooking would be a nice addition.
Heat the oven 200c, gas 6, fan 180c. Chop all the veg into large bite size chunks. On a large tray spread out the peppers, fennel, and onion.
These take longer to cook. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and roast 15 minutes.
Scatter over the courgette, tomatoes and garlic give everything a stir, squirt over the balsamic, drizzle over 1 more tbsp oil.
Mix together the harissa, lemon zest, juice, oil and honey. Pour half over the veggies.
Put in the oven again to roast for a further 20 minutes until all is softened an beginning to caramelise around the edges.
Thickly slice the halloumi. Heat a griddle pan and when hot griddle until golden on both sides.
Drizzle the rest of the dressing over the veg and cheese.
ROASTED CHICKEN WITH SLAW AND SPICY LIME DRESSING
Roasted chicken with slaw and spicy lime dressing could be made vegetarian-friendly with tofu instead of chicken
For the dressing
- 3 heaped tbsp crunchy almond or peanut butter
- Zest and juice of 1 lime, plus 1 lime in wedges to serve
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 1tbsp honey
- 2tbsp light olive oil
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 thumbnail-sized pieces of ginger, finely grated
For the salad
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 sweet pepper
- 2 large carrots
- 2 courgettes
- ½ a cucumber
- A small handful of mint leaves
- Leftover roast chicken, warm or cold, shredded
- 1 red chilli and 1 spring onion, sliced (optional)
For the dressing, mix together the nut butter and 2tbsp water to make a paste. Stir in the other ingredients, adding lime zest and juice to taste.
Shred the cabbage and sweet pepper, then shave the carrots, courgette and the outside part of the cucumber with a potato peeler, and place all the veg in a large bowl. Shred half the mint and toss through.
Add the roasted chicken and the rest of the mint, and the chilli and spring onion, if liked. Top with the dressing and serve with lime wedges.
Try adding marinated tofu instead of the chicken.